Friday, May 1, 2020

Vintage

Totally Vintage


 Project Quilting (quarantine edition) them is " Vintage" this week. 
Most quilters never turn down fabric, even if it's not their style. Especially in the beginning when you aren't sure what kind of quilts you really like to make. As such, you end up with some fabric you aren't sure why you have it. 
 So, this was a chance for me to use some of the reproduction fabrics and some "real" vintage pieces. I think it makes a cute baby quilt with a star pattern I saw online. Some of the fabric included were given to me by a woman in her 80's and she told me the fabric was given to her by her Mother-in-law from dresses she made her daughters. I wasn't clear if she meant her husband's sisters or that Mom made dresses for her granddaughters. Either way makes those pieces older than me.  It feels good to have them find a home in a new piece. 
My nod to the situation is I'm not finishing this piece for now. I want to think about the sorts of backing fabric to use instead of using anything I have at hand. 

I wanted to share a picture of the most vintage toy I own that has a connection to my childhood. 
This was given to my sister, Ann, when she was young by the neighbors whose kids had outgrown it. 
Not only did it survive her childhood, but made it all the way to me, born 14 years later, and a large influx of kids. I have no idea how my of us this guy comforted in the family, but I do remember my brother and I fighting over ownership and Grandma sewing the buttons on for his eyes. I guess I won ownership since I have it and I'll be 60 this year. I'm going to post his picture on my facebook page and ask who remembers him. It will be interested to hear what my siblings will say. 

1 comment: