Monday, May 11, 2020

Quarantine Challenge- Spots





Spots



Quarantine 
13.5" X 12.75"
This week's theme is spots. I used the opportunity to try a technique using my Cricut to cut out shapes in the fabric. In this case, I cut out the "holes" in the black fabric and backed it with a patterned Batik. I chose an irregular circle pattern and, to me it ended up looking like cells. 
 I decided to commit to my first piece  addressing the Covid-19 Virus. I found a picture of a Corona Virus and manipulated it to be cut on my cricut from green fabric. I fused that to some black fabric to give it more definition and then Cut this shape with scissors.I decided to go ahead and cut out the words in the Batik and fuse it onto a black border. 
Because this is a small piece, I decided to do some simple  Quilting stitching using clear thread on top and black thread on the bottom to hold all the pieces down. 
 I like how it all turned out. It reminds me of a poster presentation of this subject. The entire project went quickly. I started this morning and finished the piece by early afternoon. 
 I am emotionally struggling this week and doing my best to evaluate why and address issues as they come up. I think it's important to keep a welfare check going for myself at this point. Generally, I'm still in good shape. 
  I've been spending a lot of time (on my 9th week now) sheltering in place and, at first, I was keeping myself so busy making quilts I barely looked up from it. I could not separate my anxiety of the news from any sort of artistic processing. Last week, I just made a list of things, phrases, and touch words to begin to deal with it. I continue to make a house every morning to record the time I've been in shelter-in-place. Now, I've made this piece, just naming it. 
  


3 comments:

  1. I think that your piece is beautiful! It will definitely be a remembrance of this unique time in the world. I'm not doing the houses, but I have started a couple of the 'quarantine quilt a longs' for precisely that reason - to have a memento of this time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy! A Cricut machine is sounding better and better. Your Spots Challenge turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful piece. A thing of beauty to keep remember this strange time.

    ReplyDelete