Thursday, March 17, 2022

PQ 13-6 Flying Geese


 Flying Geese Fish


It's all a bit Fishy
19.5 x19.5

Let's talk about it

The challenge was to make at least 4 flying geese patches.
 EDIT: Somehow I missed that it needed to be 5 flying geese. I swear I saw 4 earlier. Anyway- I made a label from one, so my total is 5.
  Now let's Carry On: 
 Flying geese are a way to make a triangle that, when they are put together in a line, looks like geese are flying in the sky. Of course, you don't have to make them look like geese or put them in a line. I decided I would use them to make the front of my fish. The fish are made with a flying geese patch, a solid patch and an hourglass patch. I appliqued the eyes on them and I really Love these fish! I like how silly they look. 
  It reminded me of an old camp song I used to sing in Girl Scouts. I looked it up on the internet and discovered that there are a myriad of verses and a myriad of variations to those verses. Of course, I was talking to my husband (who was a 4-H er) and he had never heard of it. So, you might have heard this song, heard a variation or never heard of it at all. BUT-
  I was hearing a story about a Vice Principal who read a story to the school and it was a humorous book about Butts. Now, I am not familiar with that particular book, but I have raised a child who continues to think Farts are the funniest thing ever ( and she is 25), So I am familiar with those student readers who would find it endlessly funny. They fired him for reading that book.
  But then I remember this song- and several verses and they all speak to a questionable activity that adults do not approve of talking about.  I suppose you could say that these camp songs were as much a part of my childhood as all the church songs I sang. In the 60's and 70's all of this was considered wholesome fun and I'd like to think I grew up to be a good citizen. (Didn't hurt me none) 
  If I had time and was a bigger piece, I would have made the words from fabric. But, since it was small and I'm back to work- It was iron-on vinyl to the rescue. 
  Speaking of Work- We are back!!! Opening day was Wednesday and it was CRAZY. So many people on spring break and so excited to visit. My Parasols are still "in Transit" so I worked in the fudge area and made a ton of popcorn and some caramel apples. I'll be happy when those Parasols come in for sure. 
 I'm thrilled to have completed another year of Project Quilting (I missed challenge 1 this year) and I had a really good time. Thanks for another great season!


6 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your project! The fish are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful fishy in the sea! I was in Girl Scouts for many years, but I do not remember this song. We sang quite a few campfire songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt! I'd forgotten the last part about the bathing suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hoot of a quilt. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those bulging fishy eyes, Barb!! Super cute project to finish out Season 13 of Project QUILTING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beyond adorable! Way to get the five in there! ;)

    ReplyDelete