Friday, January 21, 2022

PQ 13-2 In Silhouette

Joy
8"x 10"
Lessons Spark Joy
Sometimes things that don't work
perfectly can spark a difference.

A while ago, I had explored making pieces based on Seminole Piecing from a book I picked up from the local guild. I played around with the green patterned fabric and discovered that there was a good reason why this technique is done with solids and not patterned fabrics. I also wasn't very precise in my piecing. But, there they were, strips in my stash of half made items. 
I still had some of that green fabric as well so I echoed it's presence with a strip. 
I'm also playing with the black with colored Fabrics placed strategically behind the cut outs with the flowers and bird. While I explored some brighter colors, I decided on a cream color. It worked well enough that I like that approach. It will be a technique I'll use again.
I cut my bird piece and the loopy border for the green fabric using a Cricut Maker. This is the sort of thing I purchased the Maker for because it has the option of a rotary blade which makes a big difference cutting fabric. 
I've been exploring different techniques to make a cut on my Cricut successful. I've got several techniques under my belt now and this went fairly quickly. 

My focus this winter has been working on a couple contest quilts. I missed the first Project Quilting challenge this year because I was in angst about another piece. I had started a piece and it didn't work in the end and I started over with a different vision. We often do that, don't we?- Plan B. I like my plan B better. 
 One more contest quilt looms and I'm still bouncing ideas from one extreme to another. 
The weather has been cold, a bit icy/ snowy and I am thankful I have no need to go anywhere. 



 

3 comments:

  1. I wondered where you were for PQ 13.1!! Best of luck on your contest quilt. You made good use of the Circut cutter on this challenge entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's gorgeous! Welcome back and good luck with your contest quilts! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete