Monday, March 1, 2021

Project Quilting 12-5 Crazy Quilting

 Crazy Quilted Heart

Set it Free

6" x 3"


This week the challenge is Crazy Quilting. Another technique challenge, although I suppose anything that would make you "Crazy" would qualify. Crazy Quilting is, traditionally, a way of showing off your luxury fabrics (such as velvets, satins, lace, etc) AND your impressive skills at embroidery stitching, both on the joining of the fabrics and feature elements. I might have dug out some fabrics that qualified, but I wasn't in the mood. In addition, I'm not into hand stitching so I used the fancy stiches on my machine. 
  I'm in the process of making a piece I might submit to a show, so I had these fabrics laying around. I like the idea of making a heart without any nod to traditional colors. In the spirit of crazy quilting, I added yarn and beads and the butterfly made from a thin felt. It's actually from a piece I picked up from work. Life is Good hats are sent with these felt pieces to hold a shape of the hat but customers pull them out, they end up on the floor, and I gather them up. 
  I used a Sizzix cutter (I have one plate to make butterflies) To cut the butterfly. I also used this felt as a foundation for the fabrics and sewing the stitches. I then added the yarn and beads (xo for love and kisses) and then stitched the entire thing to black felt. After I took the picture on my design wall, I added a pinback so I could wear it. 
  My husband said this reminded him of that saying in the 60's/70's that said:

"If you Love something, set it free.

If it comes back, it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was." 


So, here it is pinned onto a jean jacket. 

6 comments:

  1. Ok! This is so cool! Maybe I’m dating myself with that superlative, but it is! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEW super cute!! Adding a pin back was brilliant. The heart looks great on your denim jacket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool - love that quote. What a great way to think about things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I love this! All the texture and tiny pieces together on a small heart make this really special. It's so much fun to think outside of the box and make something so unique and also be proud of it enough to wear it! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete