Saturday, January 9, 2021

PQ 12-1 Illumination +ultimate gray

 It's that time again!

Project Quilting season 12 begins! This week's theme was based on the pantone colors of yellow and gray. I have been drawn to grays lately but yellow! As much as I always think I need to get yellow in my stash, it's always the color I have the least of and is the most challenging for me to find something I like. 
   When I began working on this, I was still working, so it was a struggle to head into the sewing room after I had 8 hours of bending and stretching to count the store. I knew it had to be something simple to get it done in a week. I had found the bee fabric in a small shop in upstate New York last year. I recognized it from a fabric line I had seen at Houston Market years before and had only been able to find the blue colorway locally. I originally thought I could use it in a bee quilt I was working on, but, in the end, it really didn't fit in. The gray I had in my stash and it's an interesting gray wood grain pattern and the yellow is two different shades of yellow from my Cherrywood stash. 
  The  Quilt is a super simple design like the beginning of a "Trip around the World". I added the bees on Wednesday  when I realized I was done working for the season and it could use a bit more interest.
  Someone asked about how I made the bees. They are a raw edged applique, sewn on with a satin stitch. I basically cut out the black and slipped the white and yellow in between the black and the quilt top. 


  To quilt it I just did a basic grid with diagonal crosses both ways. This was my first time trying out a mid tone thread as I talked about in my last post here so I picked Lilac! I like it too. It will be something I will consider again in the future. 


Bee mine 40"x40"

 So here's my entry this week all quilted. The binding is the same as the backing, another gray patterned fabric. Finished in a week. 


4 comments:

  1. Super cute quilt! Did I miss how you added the bees? Perfect embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You keep me honest about this blogging stuff, Joy. It didn't cross my mind to give the details of that, so I've modified the text to add how I made the bees. Thanks! I might get better at all of this eventually!

      Delete
  2. This is adorable! Love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kim! I am super happy I added the bees. Even though they are simple and cute, compared to the printed bees, I think it works.

    ReplyDelete