Tuesday, February 4, 2020

project quilting 11-3

Hearts!!!

It's February, Valentine's Day is coming, and the theme is Hearts. 
Sunday was when the Challenge dropped and it was Super Bowl Sunday. 
I'm not a fan (see the prior challenge) but I think the entire State of MISSOURI (not Kansas, although I'm sure they were excited too) practically HAD to watch the game. (Kansas City Chiefs were playing.)  
 I watched some while I was cooking/ eating and then left the room, although my house is small enough that I could still hear it. 
 Hey, did you see the Facebook commercial about the groups that ROCK? The first group they featured was Tablerock Lake Group- my LAKE! Just remember the lake is in MISSOURI, not Kansas! 
Super Bowl Sunday morning

Since I've been off work, I've been cleaning and sorting and finding stuff I've had for years. So, I found a pile of squares of vintage fabrics. Then I looked at all my Valentine fabrics, Which might be considered vintage, but I see them as older, probably late 90's. 

 Hearts

 approx 40"x40"

This is a generally good size for a baby quilt (in my experience)
It works great for naps, tucking into strollers, tucking around a car seat, not too big for them to drag around themselves later, still use for naps, still use for dolls, stuffed animals and real pets. My kids wore theirs out people!
Close-up view of some of the smaller vintage squares. 
This is not that creative, but it's a solid utilitarian baby quilt and I'm very excited to have found a home for these vintage and old fabrics. 
 I also got more experience using a walking foot for the basic quilting. I used a pretty lofty batting, something I rarely use, (I don't even know how I got this, honestly.) SO, I did not quilt it heavily, so it could be very soft and fluffy after it's washed. 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful baby quilt. Love the scrappiness of the little squares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best part of the Project Quilting Challenges for me is that I use up odds and ends of things that I already have. I have a self imposed rule that I can't buy anything for the challenges. I also like the chance to learn or practice new things in a project without a clear purpose. Sounds like you a like minded. You created a great baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use up some stashed fabric AND make the challenge theme work for you!!

    ReplyDelete